[chiglug] Thoughts on Android variants? (In particular, Copperhead OS?)

Dan Krol orblivion at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 15:15:41 UTC 2016

> Do they have a track-record of spinning-out the android security updates
> quickly?

I think they're new on the scene, so I'm not sure what their reputation is.
However Copperhead has existed before this as a security firm, which makes
me think they *would* do updates quickly. On their interview on the TWIT
network, they *claimed* (if I understood them) that they put things out
fast, and sometimes even put in patches from hardware manufacturers before
Google gets around to them.

> I am using the stock android OS

AOSP or Android with Google services? Part of my goal is to not have those
around. (I figured that'd be the case for many on this list).

I'm also unclear as to whether Copperhead comes with the f-droid or google
> app stores pre-installed, or whether you'd have to install those via
> allowing external sources. I never felt good enabling that option.

It's an interesting question. It's a weird thing that the options are
either "Google Apps only" or "LOL Whatever". Why not "This app only" and
choose F-Droid (or what have you)? Maybe Copperhead will make that change?
Anyway, Copperhead specifically does not come with Google apps. I think it
comes with F-Droid preinstalled. Not sure if that means the "external
sources" option is enabled by default.

> All in all, this sounds like a pretty good alternate rom as compared to
> the others. Have you installed it, or are you just considering it?

Considering it. I'm just scoping things out for my next phone. I would need
expensive new hardware to use Copperhead. It'd be nice to find something
new and reliable with actual updates that works on my HTC One.