[chiglug] Event Announcement: Surveillance Self-Defense Workshop - Saturday, April 16th at 11:00am

Jim Campbell jcampbell at gnome.org
Fri Mar 18 02:25:19 UTC 2016

Hi All,

On Saturday, April 16th, members of the Chicago GNU/Linux User Group
along with Shahid Buttar and Noah Swartz from the Electronic Frontier
Foundation will co-host a free workshop on surveillance self-defense.
The workshop will be open to the public, though particularly structured
for activists and lawyers who support social movements.

You are not expected to be a technical expert to attend this session -
it is geared towards regular smartphone and laptop users. We will be
sharing knowledge of surveillance, some immediate and practical steps
you can take to protect your communications, and how to work with
neighbors to influence surveillance policy at the state and local level.

To get the most out of the event, we recommend that you bring your phone
and/or laptop.

The event will take place at SPACE, located at 444 N. Wabash Ave in
downtown Chicago. The session will start at 11:00am, and will last
approximately four hours. We recommend that you take public transit to
attend the event. SPACE is conveniently located near the Grand Avenue
stop on the CTA Red Line, and is wheelchair accessible. Pizza and other
refreshments will be served.

There is no cost to attend, but we encourage (though not require) that
you RSVP so that we may plan accordingly. And feel free share this
event, too! Registrations are handled via the EFF website
(https://www.eff.org/04-16-16-CHI). We look forward to seeing you on
April 16th!

Special Notes:

Legal professionals licensed to practice in Illinois will have an
opportunity to receive Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE)
credit for a $25 cost.

We will have vegetarian food options available. If you prefer a vegan,
gluten free, or other food option, please send an email to
tux at chicagolug.org with your request.

Detail Summary:
ChicagoLUG and Electronic Frontier Foundation Surveillance Self-Defense
Workshop
- Saturday, April 16th, 2016, from 11:00am - 3:00pm
- RSVP: https://www.eff.org/04-16-16-CHI

Location:
- SPACE - 444 N. Wabash Ave, Chicago, IL 60611
- OpenStreetMap Link: http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3575222994
- Google Maps Link: https://goo.gl/maps/VGtqEXpLGzr

An alternate entry to the event is through the After Words Bookstore
entrance on 23 East Illinois street.