[chiglug] December meeting & other notes

Jim Campbell jcampbell at gnome.org
Wed Nov 18 03:38:58 UTC 2015

Hi All,

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015, at 08:05 PM, eviljoel wrote:
> Hello Jim and All,

<snip></snip>

> Concerning talks, I know I don't speak for everyone, but talks should be
> written for a general Linux audience, not just system administrators. We
> have lots of Linux users who use Linux for a variety of different
> purposes. Anyone who uses Linux regularly should be able to at least
> somewhat follow along.
>
> Also, giving a 5 minute intro to your topic can help beginners get
> _something_ out of your talk. You know, just enough information so that
> beginners have some context for what problem your application is trying
> to solve.

These are good points, Joel.  Would folks find it helpful if we drafted
up a few sample / simple outlines for talks? I would see these as
example jumping-off points for how someone could structure a talk. I
think that including some of the background info like Joel mentions
would be helpful for an audience as they try to follow along, and that
Joel's tips are helpful even if you have a technical audience.

As for meeting scheduling, I think the 12th would give us a bit more
room, time-wise, too.  The fifth is rapidly approaching.

Finally, I want to say that I think we maybe gave Sten the impression
that we'd want him to successfully defend / compare systemd against all
init systems on all OS types. I like systemd, but it seems like a fair
number of people on this list don't like it (I hope that doesn't make
anyone feel defensive . . . that was my impression, though). Maybe
Sten's talk could be a sort of practice for if he has to give a talk in
front of a room full of systemd haters. I don't know . . . I don't want
Sten to feel like he has to disprove the world with his talk.

Jim