[chiglug] systemd

Kevin Brandstatter icarusthecow at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 15:10:11 UTC 2015

I'd just be interested in a good compare contrast of sysvinit/openrc, bsd's
init, and systemd (and maybe launchd if you can swing it).
Advantages/disadvantages etc. (ex, i find it much easier to add services to
either of the first two, and I like flat log files, but systemd dependency
based task starting is a much appreciated feature for parallel boot
sequences)

Im familiar with the previous 2, and have been forced to attempt to
systemd, but my generally hesitancy to systemd is its sheer size, scope (it
tries to do everything instead of just booting/initializing the system) and
the fact that I have no idea how it works.
(adding a unit file sent me on an hour search to figure out where to even
put it... and im still not sure its right and wont just get blown away in a
system upgrade)

-Kevin