[Discuss] Ansible for chicagolug.org services

Jim Campbell jcampbell at gnome.org
Mon Jun 1 16:23:33 UTC 2015

On Sun, May 31, 2015, at 11:32 PM, Joseph Wegner wrote:
> On 05/31/2015 09:37 PM, Peter Baumgarten wrote:
> > I would be interested in participating in a hackfest.  As a puppet
> > <https://puppetlabs.com/> user myself I have been meaning to try out
> > either ansible <http://www.ansible.com> or salt <http://saltstack.com>.
> >
> > On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 2:02 PM, sten <me at sud0.com <mailto:me at sud0.com>>
> > wrote:
> >

> >     On May 29, 2015 07:07, "Jim Campbell" <jcampbell at gnome.org
> >     <mailto:jcampbell at gnome.org>> wrote:
> >
> >         __
> >
> >         On Fri, May 29, 2015, at 06:42 AM, meg ford wrote:
> >>         Hi Sten,
> >>         On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 6:41 AM, meg ford <meg387 at gmail.com
> >>         <mailto:meg387 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >>             Forwarding from the old list:
> >>             On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 10:32 AM, sten <me at sud0.com
> >>             <mailto:me at sud0.com>> wrote:
> >>

> >>                 Hi, all,
> >>
> >>                 I've been talking with Jim offline about this, but we
> >>                 wanted to talk about it on-list before making any
> >>                 changes.
> >>
> >>                 Jim can correct me here, but I understand everything
> >>                 under chicagolug.org <http://chicagolug.org> runs on a
> >>                 single Ubuntu instance on Rackspace. Since Rackspace
> >>                 is being so generous to the LUG, I'd like to split
> >>                 that out into multiple hosts, and do some HA and
> >>                 redundancy, and add at least one new service.
> >>
> >>                 I'd also like to build it with Ansible, so it can be
> >>                 rebuilt from scratch easily if needed.
> >>
> >>                 I've been thinking I'd like to do an Ansible
> >>                 presentation for the LUG, since I've been doing a lot
> >>                 with Ansible at work, particularly for OpenShift V3
> >>                 (v3 is all built and managed with ansible, see
> >>                 https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible/), but
> >>                 if we re-build chicagolug.org <http://chicagolug.org>
> >>                 with Ansible, we can do something more collaborative
> >>                 and do it via the email list and pull requests.
> >>
> >>                 What if we started with 1 new service, I'm thinking
> >>                 http://getkaiwa.com/ - this would run on a new
> >>                 Rackspace instance and point to the existing Prosody
> >>                 server.
> >>
> >>                 I'd work with Jim and Meg to put together a new repo
> >>                 under the chicagolug github account, and we could do
> >>                 PRs to put together an Ansible role for Kaiwa and a
> >>                 playbook to create the Rackspace instance.
> >>
> >>                 From there, we could add more roles and more playbooks
> >>                 and eventually get all the chicagolug services managed
> >>                 in Git.
> >>
> >>                 Any interest? Any thoughts?
> >>

> >>         Thanks for offering to help out with this! Is there any
> >>         interest in the LUG having a hackfest around it? I know that
> >>         your free time is currently somewhat limited, but if you do
> >>         have time it might be cool to have a basic demo for those who
> >>         haven't used Ansible before, followed by a few hours of
> >>         collaborative work time. How do other people feel about it?
> >

> >     I'd be happy to do that. Maybe I'll put together a quick
> >     presentation on the basics and some examples. From there, we can
> >     work on building out a working set of services.

> [...]

Would June 29th work for this? Sten, would you be free then and able to
give a talk on this? Others?  (If anyone won't be free then, but still
wants to participate, please let us know an alternate date).

What I'm thinking is that, for this month, we could use our monthly
meeting time to have a demo / discussion of how Ansible works, and then
use our remaining time to actually work on LUG infrastructure + Ansible.
 Having a meeting later in the month would give us time to plan things
out on the list, review Ansible docs / tutorials, get started on things,
etc.

Does this sound good?

Jim