[Discuss] ChicagoLUG: Goings on

Jim Campbell jcampbell at gnome.org
Fri Sep 26 13:43:55 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I just thought I'd send out a note regarding recent goings-on. In a way,
I apologize for not getting this note out sooner. While we have been
having typical monthly meetings in the past, our more recent
certification prep series on top of regular work has had me pretty busy.

Here is a quick summary of a few items, and then I'll get into future
planning ideas.

Current items
=============

- We've had four certification prep meetings, and our fifth one is set
for this coming Wednesday. Feel free to join us if you're interested.
This Wednesday's session will focus on system networking.  Details are
up on the website [0] and on our meetup page [1]. I think these sessions
have been successful - we're having good, focused discussions, and are
working our way through a lot of information. (Thanks to Rob for getting
us the space to host these events).

- I've created a ChicagoLUG group on Github, and have moved our website
repository to that group, and will be adding our notes from our
cert-prep meetups, as well. Although our cert prep notes are still up on
our etherpad, having them available in git is a good idea.

Looking ahead
==============

- There are some neat things going on in Linux, but it's not the typical
stuff. Projects like CoreOS, Project Atomic, Docker, Kubernetes, and
even OpenStack are changing a lot of how servers are being managed and
how software is being (or will be) deployed. Would people be interested
in focusing on these kinds of topics for a while?

- With a group set up in github [2] for us, I was thinking that we could
use
it to host LUG configurations of software. Dockerfiles, member dotfiles,
example server configs, etc. There may be other items, as well. If you'd
like to be added as a member of the group on github, just let me know.

- Are there other things you'd like to do or see? I've described a few
things that I think would be good for the group - things that would
continue to stretch our learning and keep things interesting. Let us
know some of what I've described sounds good, or if there are other
discussions that you'd like to see.

Cheers,

Jim

[0] http://chicagolug.org/meetings/2014-10-01.html