[chiglug] ChicagoLUG meeting - Saturday, January 25th at 2:00pm - Linux on RISC-V and systemd-homed

Jim Campbell jcampbell at gnome.org
Wed Jan 15 19:17:36 UTC 2020

Hey Everyone:

The Chicago GNU/Linux User Group is (... after some time) staging our next meeting. Here are the details:

Date:  January 25, 2020
Time:  2:00p
Place: Pumping Station: One - 3519 North Elston Ave, Chicago, IL 60618
RSVP:  https://www.meetup.com/ChicagoLUG/events/267940284/?isFirstPublish=true

Presentations
=============
* Linux on RISC-V
     by: Drew Fustini
* systemd-homed: systemd is coming for your home directory
     by: Jim Campbell

Further Information
This is going to be an exciting meeting.  Drew will demo Linux running on RISC-V on the Hackaday Supercon Badge, and talk about how we were able to accomplish that using free software tools such as Linux-on-LiteX-VexRiscv and KiCad.

Drew will also look at what's coming up in 2020 for Linux on RISC-V including developments in the kernel, Fedora and Debian, plus what Linux-capable silicon chips are on the horizon.

Jim will be presenting on one of the newer (and yet-to-be-merged) components of systemd, systemd-homed. We'll take a look at some of the problems it aims to solve, how it attempts to solve them, and when you'd want to use it / when you'd not want to use it.

As always, this is a BYOB event and we will have pizza. RSVP's are encouraged but not required. We look forward to seeing everyone there!

Happy Hacking!

The Chicago GNU/Linux User Group