[chiglug] July Meeting - Debian Packaging + Linux on FPGA's

Jim Campbell jcampbell at gnome.org
Sat Jul 6 13:58:22 UTC 2019

Hi All,

It's been some time, eh? I am pleased to say, though, that we will be having a meeting next Saturday, July 13th, at 2:00pm. We will be meeting at Pumping Station One.

We have two talks lined-up for this meeting, covering Debian packaging and Linux on FPGA’s.

With the first talk we’ll get a look at Debian packaging as explained by long time Debian Developer, Ben Hutchings. We’ll cover what a source package is and how it gets turned into a binary package. If you have ever wanted to package something for an APT-based Linux distribution, this is for you.

As part of this talk, we’ll also get a look at tools that help you organize files and create config files within a Debian package. Ben will be sharing his favorites.

Following-up with that, Carl Karsten will give an overview of booting Linux on an FPGA.

The gist of it is that, for $120 you can buy an FPGA dev board. then download source code and build the bit stream to turn it into an open source CPU running Linux compiled for that CPU. You get bash and some networking, but right now not much more. But this isn’t for emailing cat videos, this is a window into the FPGA.

Carl will give an overview of the open source code and tools that go into this, and what the future may bring us. This is done as a much-shortened version of what will be an FPGA Hackfest to be held at PyOhio on July, 26th of this year. For details and information about that event, see the hackfest information page [1].

Hope to see you there! RSVP's are encouraged on our meetup page [2]

Jim

[1] https://www.pyohio.org/2019/events/hackfest/
[2] https://www.meetup.com/ChicagoLUG/events/262914229/