[chiglug] EFF: Temporally Stop Using PGP for Encrypted E-mail

eviljoel eviljoel at linux.com
Wed May 16 04:10:22 UTC 2018

Greetings,

The EFF says that there is a flaw in the PGP spec in that it does not
require an integrity check on an encrypted message.  Outside of that, I
believe you are right, it is a flaw in the implementations.

Also, on one of these mailing lists, Adam pointed out that this exploit
requires the remote loading of external resources. From looking at the
official exploit document, that also appears to be correct. In fact,
This means that this exploit won't work with default settings in
Thunderbird/Enigmail and probably won't work by default in other mail
clients as well. I kinda feel like the EFF jumped the gun on this one.

- eviljoel

--
Let me teach you encrypted e-mail. eviljoel's PGP fingerprint:
A2BE 2D12 24D1 67CA 8830  DDE7 DFB3 676B 196D 6430