[chiglug] Replacing hardware parts & Coreboot flashing

Rotten rottenwheel at firemail.cc
Mon Jun 11 18:53:34 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

As disclosed on the IRC channel #chicagolug, I have a used ThinkPad T430 I recently bought and these two: SSD and WiFi card.

- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (to replace the stock HDD.)
- Antheros WiFi card (Can work without proprietary blobs.)

Furthermore, I'd like to flash Coreboot on it but as you may already know it is time intensive and one has to disassemble the entire laptop. Although I am very into software I have never done anything hardware-related... hence why I am looking for someone with some more practice that might have done it in the past before I screw my FLOSS investments...

It comes with Linux Mint loaded as far as I know - I haven't even turned it on for the first time. I'm open to chip in or bring snacks to anybody who offers their help in this case and also I'm open to learn how to replace these hardware components and Coreboot flashing along with you, in the process.

A friend of mine sent me this link regarding Coreboot, in case anybody happens to be interested: https://aufmachen.jetzt/Technology_Stuff/Coreboot%20on%20the%20Thinkpad%20T430.html.

Let me know if I can bring these two parts, the laptop and the AC charger to this month's meeting at Pumping Station or we can do something else in the near future, please.

Best,
-R.