[chiglug] Calendar apps + Google

Jim Campbell jcampbell at gnome.org
Tue Jan 23 17:18:39 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:04 AM, Lincoln Bryant <lincolnb at uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2018-01-23 at 08:59 -0800, Freddy Martinez wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Do any of you use multiple google accounts + a desktop calendar
> > application? I have 4 google calendars and if I am looking for a
> > Linux client that integrates with Gsuite easily. I see California [0]
> > is an option but I don't need another _email_ client, just a
> > calendar. Ideally it would have pop up notifications for GNOME.
> >

> Hi Freddy,
>
> Evolution's calendar feature works pretty well with Google, at least
> for calendars that you own directly. I have had a bit of trouble with
> shared calendars. However it is also an email client.
>
> It seems that California and Evolution both use the Evolution Data
> Server for their backend.. maybe there's a simpler front-end out there?
>
> --Lincoln

As it turns out, California is no longer maintained. GNOME-Calendar is
being maintained, though I can't speak specifically to how it would handle
multiple google calendars (not to say it won't work, but I just don't
know). Calendar does use the Evolution Data Center API's.

I'm not sure of your distro situation (Qubes?), but if you can install
flatpak, there is a flatpak of GNOME Calendar available on Flathub: flatpak
install --user
https://flathub.org/repo/appstream/org.gnome.Calendar.flatpakref

If that's not an option, Evolution proper may be your best bet.

Jim