[chiglug] Reminder: LUG Meeting September 10 at 2pm

meg ford meg387 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 18:53:16 UTC 2016

Hi Everyone,

I don't think I sent an announcement to the list when I scheduled the
meetup for next week, so here it is:

We'll be meeting on Saturday, September 10 at 2 pm at Pumping Station: One
<https://pumpingstationone.org/location/>. We'll have two talks:

James Slater will be giving a talk on Conda
<http://conda.pydata.org/docs/intro.html>, a package management tool built
in python that makes installing sandboxed binary applications somewhat
easier / saner.

Lincoln Bryant will be presenting a broad overview of container technology
and a bit of history.  In his talk he will tell us about the kernel
features that make containers possible, and look specifically into LXD, how
to use it, how it works under the hood. He will give a demo showing off
some of the features, and compare/contrast with Docker and other container
technologies.

Also, we were contacted by Matthew Garrett, who will be in town October 22
and will be giving a talk at the LUG. We are currently looking for a larger
space (~50 people) where we can meet that day at 2 pm. Does anyone have any
leads? If so, please contact me and Jim directly. Thanks!

See you next Saturday!
Meg