[chiglug] October LUG Meeting

meg ford meg387 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 23:16:05 UTC 2016

Hi Everyone,

We're all set for our next meeting. It will be on Saturday, October 22 at 2
PM at Telnyx (311 W Superior St, STE 504, Chicago, IL). Please send your
RSVP to me or Jim, or on the Meetup page
<http://www.meetup.com/wclug-org/events/234620847/?rv=ea1> so we can
estimate how many people to expect. We are particularly excited about this
meeting because we have a lot of great speakers and we are going to be
trying out a new, larger space downtown :)

We will get a quick overview of FLOSS-technologies at Telnyx, and Bonnie
King will show us how FLOSS supports high-energy physics research at
Fermilab. Matthew Garrett will wrap things up with an extended talk on
securing computers from highly skilled attackers.

-- Telynx Engineering - Rob Dux (Telnyx)
A lightning-talk overview of FLOSS-based engineering technologies in use at
Telynx.

-- Linux and Open Source at Fermilab - Bonnie King (FermiLab)
High Energy Physics research has a legacy of using and contributing to Free
and Open Source Software. As a sysadmin at Fermilab, I'll talk about some
current and upcoming experiments and they way Linux and FLOSS are put to
work in Physics research.

-- Securing Computers from Highly Skilled Attackers - Matthew Garrett
(CoreOS, FSF, GNOME)
The modern world keeps giving us demonstrations of governments finding new
and exciting ways to spy on computers. It's unlikely that you'll be the
target of any of this surveillance, but where governments start, criminals
probably won't be too far behind. Matthew Garrett will talk about some of
the more unsettling attacks seen in the past few years, but also discuss
some of the things normal users can do to protect against them.

Hope to see you there!
Meg