[Discuss] ChicagoLUG May follow-up

Jim Campbell jcampbell at gnome.org
Tue May 19 15:58:00 UTC 2015

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who made it out to our meeting last weekend. Special
thanks to Ryan for making the trip out early from Oakland (even though
he didn't actually wear the native Oakland attire of Hammer Pants, as we
had hoped).  With that meeting behind us, I wanted to note some of what
we discussed with regards to the LUG.

tldr; All of our pages are now served up via SSL, we have a secure
Jabber/XMPP server with open registration, O'Reilly is offering
different discounts, and we still have sweet, sweet Rackspace resources
that you can use.  : )

1) All of our web services are now served up via SSL / HTTPS with certs
issued by Gandi. We use HSTS headers, as well, which means that once a
browser connects securely to our server, that browser won't accept an
insecure connection to that same server within a year. That "year" gets
reset every time someone visits the site. All-in-all, HSTS headers
prevent downgrades from secure-to-insecure connections.  Not sure how
vital this is to LUG discussions, but we have it anyway.  : )

2) We are now running a jabber server, and registration is open*. We're
running Prosody manage the jabberings, and connections are secured via
SSL, as well.  For the security-minded, the server is configured to only
allow SSL connections between client / server, and server / server.  OTR
is supported, too, as long as your client supports it.
If you want to create an account, Conversations and Xabber are good
Android clients, and they let you create an account from within the
client itself (the account format is just yourname - ate -
chicagolug.org). I'm set up as jim - ate - chicagolug.org, so feel free
to add me if you do set up an account.

3) O'Reilly has changed-up their affiliate program, now offering us 40%
off ebooks and regular books, and 50% off of videos. They'll also offer
up a free video series if we want to have a group workshop. Just reply
to this message / to me directly if you want the discount code.

4) If you want to work on a server-related project, let us know. We
crazy have Rackspace resources available for LUG use.  : )  Don't be shy
(or be shy, but ask for resources anyway).  : )

Finally, we're planning for our June meeting. If you have a preferred
weekend / set of weekends, let us know what would work best for you.  :
)

Cheers,

Jim

* We may close up the "open registration" configuration at a later time.
It's a Jabber account free-for-all at this time, though.