[Discuss] Meeting Announcement: Saturday, July 18th at 2:00pm

sten me at sud0.com
Fri Jul 17 15:33:46 UTC 2015

Hey, all,

So, the meeting tomorrow is a hackfest. We'll be creating Ansible roles and
playbooks, and sending them to the ChicagoLUG Github repo to be deployed.

In order to get the most out of the 'fest, you should have the following:

- a Github account[1]
- a laptop with Git installed
- a text editor you're comfortable with installed on said laptop - bonus
points if it has YAML and Python syntax highlighting. I'll be using VIM,
because I'm old, Geany works if you don't already have a preference. If
you're using Notepad on Windows, I might mock you, but you'll probably
still be able to participate.

For bonus points, review these:

Git setup: https://help.github.com/articles/set-up-git/
How to fork a Github repo: https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo/
How to use pull requests:
https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests/
Ansible introduction: http://docs.ansible.com/intro.html
Ansible Playbooks introduction: http://docs.ansible.com/playbooks_intro.html

I'll cover the basics of the Git -> Github -> Ansible workflow at the start
of the meeting, but I'm expecting to spend most of the time working with
people to get systems built and configured in the ChicagoLUG domain with
Ansible.

[1] We can debate the merits of using a proprietary, centralized service to
host our open-source code in a distributed source management system after
we've had way too much beer.