[Discuss] Fwd: Re: Mailman?

Kevin Brandstatter icarusthecow at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 02:45:32 UTC 2014

Good News Everyone,

I finished the setup of the mailman server to run our own mailing lists
with GNU Mailman so we can lessen our dependence on Skynet- er,  mean
Google.

So the basics are as follows:
the server is http://lists.chicagolug.org go there in a browser and you
get this "lovely" GNUi
there are two lists : Announce, and Discuss
Announce: announcemnents for meetings, events, etc
Discuss: everything else, discussions, questions, random gibberish from
a markov bot, even nuclear launch codes if you're so inclined.

Consider this the announcement to begin moving over to the new lists.

A few final notes:
1) Mailman isn't super well known for secure storage of passwords, so
don't use your bank password or whatever
2) It hasn't been super hammered on so there might be some issues
    for that reason I recommend posting to the new/old list for a while
    that way the stragglers aren't immediatly left out, and in the case
that something goes horribly wrong
    and a configuration/setup error causes a catastrophic failure that
induces global armageddon,
    we can still embrace our Search Engine Overloards (SEO).

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, have some kind of
issue to report, or just want to say hi, just let me know

-Kevin Brandsattter <icarusthecow>

announce : don't use bank password : report issues