[Discuss] Questions about shells: Tmux, Screen, SSH and Terminator

Freddy Martinez freddymartinez9 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 20:49:07 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

I've been having a lot of issues lately with my SSH sessions (I have
to maintain ~5 for 8+ hours a day with frequency having to lock /
leave my work station).  Here's my current setup. I use Terminator and
have it split with 3-4 panes and just use SSH.  I don't use screen
because I find that it doesn't work great with Terminator. Some of my
coworkers use tmux (you can launch it inside terminator) but I dislike
the keybindings. The advantage of tmux is that is supports screen-like
behavior but its actively supported. (screen isn't maintained anymore
AFAIK).

What's your setup? Do anyone have a recommendation that isn't tmux?
Ideally I'd like to use terminator + <something else>.

Thanks,
Freddy M